Thursday, July 23, 2015

Mick McKellar Update -- Day +1612

Our Bandaids were too small...
Seriously Unfunny

This might be funny, were it not so sad. I did something incredibly clumsy this afternoon. I was working at my computer when Dante began a barking frenzy, probably at some noise outside. I didn't hear anything. As requested by his owner, I jumped up to grab the spray bottle and dissuade him from his noisy alarm. My sudden move frightened him, and he ran under my feet, tripping me. My stability is poor, even on a good day, and he felled me on the spot.

I must have been an amazing sight, toppling north-by-west from my desk -- hands extended, leg caught up with my headphone cable, and bellowing in fear. When I hit the floor, the carpeting removed a sizable chunk of my skin just below my left knee and the corner of a nearby wall didn’t move out of the way of my left shoulder. My head and my right leg conspired to yank on the headphone hard enough to break the plug and nearly pull my PC off my desk.

My leg suffered rug burn and removal of flesh, my shoulder received bruising and scraping, and my headphones are ruined. Overall, it was an unpleasant experience.

I hobbled out to Marian, who was mowing the lawn, and showed her my knee. She was less than receptive and somewhat short on empathy. We covered the cut -- after treating it with hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin. What an afternoon!

I would like to report that there is a lesson to be learned here, but outside of trying not to be clumsy, there is little to share. Maybe I should consider NOT wearing shorts and relying on my jeans as portable armor for the hopelessly maladroit. As you can see from the photo, my knee will be uncomfortable for awhile.

My career with Riverdance is in great jeopardy, and I may have to withdraw from the competition on: "So You Think You Can Walk!"

Good night, and God bless.

Mick

No comments:

Post a Comment