Monday, February 20, 2012

Mick McKellar Update -- Day +365


Wow! Tomorrow is the anniversary of my blood and marrow stem cell transplant! I have survived one year from the day I received stem cells and T-cells from my brother, Kevin. As I was planning how to celebrate and commemorate this milestone, my cadre of redneck T-cells decided to mark the event with the quiet fireworks of a skin rash...from face to feet.

Resistance is futile...(I hope)

For just over three weeks, Marian and I have been sharing the joy of massaging triamcinolone (steroid) cream into my skin. For the most part, my skin has responded by clearing up and/or peeling off. So far, just my forearms and the tops of my feet have resisted the soothing and healing effects of the steroid cream. Except for that small area in the middle of my upper back (the one I cannot reach without dislocating my shoulder), the maddening itch has scaled back to a general annoyance. Why is it that the worst itch is always in the one place you cannot scratch?

Despite testing my temperature at least daily, no hint of a fever has been noted. I have noted a slight soreness on the inside of my cheeks and I am keeping an eye on that nasty little occurrence. I even slept until after 9:00 a.m. today, with only one excursion (at 5:30) to the water closet downstairs. Sleeping through the night is a good thing...

Intrepid walker?

I'm not certain how intrepid I can be at this point, but I did manage to walk 2.5 miles today...I just had to enjoy that grand weather. Yesterday, I enjoyed an outing with Marian and our friends (the Kunnaris) from down the street...we took a ride to Eagle River (MI) and watched the deer chomping down on some apples in the park. I took a couple of photos, and I just loved this one deer (probably a young buck, by the look of him) who was busy telling off the other deer...advising them that the apples were his and he did not want to share.

On the road again...soon...

We're hoping for great weather next Monday. If all goes well, by this time next Monday, we will be in Rochester, MN for a lot of tests and my inoculations.

God bless and good night,

Mick

No comments:

Post a Comment