Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mick McKellar Update -- Day +163

I'm just preparing for tomorrow's blood tests by fasting tonight, and delaying my cyclosporin capsules until 8:00 PM so the test will be approximately 12 hours after I take the dose. This gives a credible treatment level in the blood tomorrow. Generally, today was one of the good days, with only a small amount of stomach upset from the medications.

Oddly, I don't really get hungry during the day, but my stomach will start to hurt and I will feel a bit weak...this is my sign that I need to eat something. Just another way that life is different after a blood and marrow transplant. Soon it will be six months since my brother Kevin granted me a new lease on life with his stem cells, and a new set of "red-neck" T-cells to patrol my blood stream looking for fast growing cells to attack. I am praying that they will soon find themselves at home. I take anti-rejection drugs like cyclosporin because unlike other transplants, my body does not reject the transplant...the transplant rejects my body.  The doctors tell me that the T-cells will eventually accept their adopted home. Sooner would be better than later. Their activities are what cause Graft versus Host Disease (GVHD), but also create the Graft versus Leukemia effect, because they also attack any remaining cancer cells.

On the subject of brothers, I have another brother named Tim. Although he and my sister both volunteered and were tested, neither was a match for my transplant. About a hundred and fifty years ago, Tim, my wife Marian, and I were members of a rock band named Titus. At the time I played bass guitar, while Tim played rhythm and lead as well as sharing the singing duties with Marian. Well, Tim recently sent me some links to YouTube videos of the Rhythm City Dogs a band for which he plays bass guitar. The videos are of their band playing at a benefit for St. Jude's hospital. Tim is the guy in the red shirt. Links are below, please take a look.

I wish we had videos of our band...

Hurt So Good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ5xarci-dI&feature=related
Break Down 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6J4HD8abkI&feature=related
Jenny, Jenny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzKJmDvB3zI&feature=related
Roadhouse Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDhFaITBOhg&feature=related

Well, that's my report for today (and my short trip down memory lane). Hope you enjoy the videos. Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts.

God bless and good night,

Mick

No comments:

Post a Comment