Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mick McKellar Update--Day +136

The intrepid walkers sojourned twice from the Gift of Life Transplant House (south) to the hospital today for tests and consultations. The tests were generally good news. I am no longer taking any prednisone and my dosage for blood pressure medication was cut in half. The ever-present rash seems to have taken a hike (or is barely there), meaning very little use of steroid creams from now on. I am no longer taking insulin, as my blood glucose has stabilized at normal levels (around 100).

In general, I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in...

I still have problems with fatigue...I tire easily and completely. There is no gradual decrease in energy, as I start in low gear and continue until there is suddenly nothing left. My saliva has changed into something evil tasting and it ruins nearly everything I eat. So, we're busy trying to figure out what is causing that and the ongoing hemolysis (death of red blood cells) problems.

We will have to come back to Rochester again in a month for more testing and another checkup. At least it's summer...

We head for home tomorrow morning early, and are praying for another good ride in good weather.

Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts,

God bless and good night,

Mick

1 comment: