Saturday, June 11, 2011

Mick McKellar Update -- Day +110

The intrepid walkers have spent most of the day walking up and down stairs and back and forth, unpacking the huge amount of materials we brought back from Rochester Minnesota. It is amazing how much you can accumulate in five short months. It is great to be home, despite the cool weather, and the occasional raindrops.

Friends have been calling and wishing us well, letting us know that they're glad we're home. I have a lot of work to do, mostly setting up connections between my local oncologist and the specialists at Mayo Clinic, so that the proper blood tests are done here and the information shared back there. I've also been struggling with getting my prescriptions set up through a mail order company. They're holding up some of my more important medications, because their systems indicate potential drug interactions -- all of which my doctors have approved, despite the potential interactions.

The problem isn't that they checked it out, but that they are holding up delivering the prescriptions until after I will probably run out of my local supply. I cannot get more locally, because the order has already been processed by the mail order company. Life's little complexities can be a bother.

Our trip home was prayerful and nervous. The day before we left, I discovered two tires, one rear summer tire and one front snow tire, were nearly flat. I limped the car over to a service center and put air in both tires. They (and we) made it home without incident. The car was packed to the roof. We definetly need to learn to travel lighter.

The day was a bit drippy from time to time, but largely we had dry roads, light traffic, and over-cast skies...good driving weather. I drove to Ashland, WI and Marian drove the rest of the way home.

The stress of the trip (and dealing with insurance and mail order pharmacy hassles) has not caused any detrimental effects on my condition. Being home is just too great a feeling I guess. I hope to have more time to write after we settle back into both the house and my routines/protocols to stay healthy and uninfected.

Thanks for all the prayers, good thoughts, e-mails, and calls. It is great to be home again.

God bless and good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment